Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Food Storage Additions

This week for your 72-hour kits, add a pair of socks and shoes. This one was easy for me. I needed a new pair of running shoes, so I stuck my old ones in the kit. Make sure that the shoes you have are able to get wet, support and protect your feet, and would allow you to climb, hike, or run to safety.

For long term food storage this month, we're adding beans! There are so many different kinds of beans you can add, so use this opportunity to try new things and discover all the options. Legumes are so beneficial and energy packed.

How's your 3 month supply coming? I'm doing a pretty good job of rotating through mine. We might be moving in a 2 months, so I figure if we eat one can per day, I won't have to transport s much heavy canned food. This week, to go along with the bean theme, I made salsa chicken and refried beans. For the chicken, just place frozen chicken into a crock pot, top with salsa, and cook for 4 hours. It just falls apart when it's done, and it tastes just like you made fajitas. For the beans, we just used a can. Yum! you could add lots of things to make this meal more fit for more than 2 people - make some rice, veggies, or eat with tortillas and sour cream. With this meal, I prefer black beans, but I only had refried.

No comments:

Post a Comment